Looking for a delicious dessert to add to your easter long weekend menu? We've adapted a classic carrot cake recipe to include leftover carrot juice pulp.
You can skip the candied carrot and dust with icing sugar when cool as a simpler option, too. Or opt for a traditional cream cheese icing - whatever you prefer. You can use fresh pulp (kept in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days after juicing) or even freeze the pulp to thaw before baking. I will also use pulp where I have added orange and/or ginger in with the carrot - these add very complimentary flavours!
Bonus Tip: You may want to remove the skin of the ginger and pith from the orange more carefully than you might normally if you intend to save it for cake. If adding ginger pulp, go easy on adding additional ginger powder to the recipe, too.
Enjoy! Team MOD x
Easter Carrot Cake Recipe with Leftover Juice Pulp
- 175ml sunflower oil
- 180g brown sugar
- Pulp of 3 large carrots (or 4-5 if smaller)
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 180g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of powdered ginger to the mix (optional)
- 1/2 cup (50g) walnuts, chopped
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely shredded - or again, use pulp!
Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C if fan forced). Grease and line the base and sides of a 23cm cake pan.
- Rehydrate carrot pulp - add 50ml of liquid. You can use plain water, orange juice or even a warm flavoured liquor such as scotch or rum!
- Combine the eggs, oil and sugar in a bowl and beat to combine. Stir in the carrot pulp and orange zest. Sift in the dry ingredients, then add the walnut and stir gently to combine.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Place sugar in a small saucepan with 1 cup (250ml) water and bring to the boil over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add carrot and cook for 5 minutes or until just tender. Remove carrot from pan and transfer to a bowl. Cook syrup for a further 10 minutes or until reduced. Pour syrup over the carrot and set aside to cool.
- Garnish cake with candied carrot and serve