Earth Day is held annually on April 22 to demonstrate support for environmental protection. It is an event that is designed to encourage people to stop and think of some simple ways they can help protect the environment and the planet for years to come.
Food waste is a global problem. With currently 10% of the world's population living on less than $2 per day, it is an important humanitarian issue but it is an environmental issue also. When food is thrown in the trash, we waste all the energy and water it took to grow that food from the harvest to the transportation and packaging. Furthermore, when discarded food is not properly composted or added to a worm farm, it is sent to a landfill where it breakdowns and produce methane - a greenhouse gas that is even more potent than carbon dioxide.
By simply getting the most out of your food in your fridge, you are helping to fight this problem and ease the burden on the environment.
This is why we have for you a delicious juice recipe in which you can use the leftover pulp to make dog biscuits your furry friend will love!
Carrot & Apple Cold Pressed Juice
4-6 small-medium carrots
2 red apples, cut into chunks
4 stalks of celery, cut into 1-2cm pieces
1 lemon, peel removed and halved
1 chunk of ginger
Simply add all the ingredients to your MOD Cold Press in the order written, turning off the machine after you have added all the carrot and apple and setting this aside before continuing on with the rest of the produce.
Juicer Pulp Dog Treats
2 cups of juice pulp saved from the above juice
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1 TBSP coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 140°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- To either a high speed blender, such as the MOD Blend Pro, or a food processor, add in the juice pulp, peanut butter, flax seeds and coconut oil. Blend until combine and then add in the oats and blend again until a dough starts to form.
- Roll out the dough on a clean benchtop and use cookie cutters to cut your biscuits into fun shapes.
- Place on a prepared tray and bake for about 60 minutes until slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
We hope you love these recipes and if you make them, don't forget to tag @modappliances !