We get it...it’s cold, all you’re thinking about is a cup of tea first thing in the morning and evenings spent in front of the fire with a steaming hot chocolate. Fresh juice is the last thing on your mind, right?
Well, it shouldn’t be, get your MOD Cold Press out and get juicing!
Why you ask? Allow us to tell you…
Juicing will help you fight off those winter bugs
You know the old apple a day saying? Well, it’s not only accurate, but there is nothing to say the apple cannot be juiced. Combining the apple with carrots, oranges and ginger will help protect your body from those nasty infections.
When picking the best fruits to keep your body in tip-top shape, it’s best to look for the following benefits:
- Fruits or vegetables with any of the core vitamins: A, B-6, or C
- Our good pal zinc
- A dose of folic acid
What if you are already sick?
If the bugs beat your immune system to the line, fear not, a juicing diet can help you recover in no time. This is actually a double-whammy as you will need to keep well-hydrated to fight off germs and can also benefit from the vitamins of fruit.
At this point, you want to fuel up on green juices and vegetable based smoothies (here are some great examples) to give your body the nutrients it needs to reset and get rid of the bad stuff. Our favourite go-to feel better assistant is a blend of either:
- Kale, mint and cucumber
- Orange, carrot, lemon, and ginger
Are you getting the most out of your juicer?
It’s one thing to make up these concoctions to help your body be at it’s best, but are you getting the most out of the produce you are juicing? Surely all juicers juice right? Sadly, this is incorrect! Good quality, slow juicers will extract double the juice and nutrients from fruit than lower quality, fast juicers.
Cold Pressed Juice versus Coffee
This seems straightforward to us, after all we are juice people. However, we know how challenging it could be to open the fridge and grab fruit instead of flicking on that coffee machine on a cold morning.
There is a method to our madness, however:
- You are meant to have ten servings of vegetables a day (And this recommended quantity is only increasing. There are a lot of studies now indicating that we need to have 30 different types of plant based foods each and every day) which many people struggle with. You can knock some off that total first thing in the morning easily with juice. In fact, raw juicing provides more nutrients and vitamins in one serving than some people get in a whole day.
- It may seem like coffee will give you that energy hit at the start of the day, but juice will provide you energy on a longer term basis.
- Juicing helps to reduce cravings for other carb-heavy foods
- Juicing is great for your skin and eyes, coffee, on the other hand, not so great for your teeth or breath!
- Juice is great for digestion and assists your metabolism
- Coffee lovers will hate this, but juice is better for a more positive state of mind
Add to this the fact that the caffeine you think is helping you get through the day is actually adding more stress (If you don't believe us, check out the Joyous Health blog for their take on it) and we’re seeing a pretty good argument for juicing.
It's not all cold...
We may have painted a pretty chilly picture so far but it doesn’t always have to be penguins and polarbears! Add some spices like cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and turmeric to make a warm juice-based drink to help stave off the chills.
Juice the winter blues away
Hopefully, we have convinced you to give that juicing diet a try this winter? As crazy as it sounds, the people who do it will tell you how much better they feel. If you could avoid sitting at home in bed surrounded by tissues, wouldn’t you?
Give winter juicing a try and have a great time while you do it by using the best tools possible. The Mod Cold Press Juicer is your ticket to a healthy winter routine, and we are 100% Australian owned as a little bonus.
We are sharing one of our favourite, healthy, warm winter juice recipes to get you started. This creation was originally posted on Joe Cross' website (see the original version here) but we have also included in below for ease!
Here is one of our favourite healthy, warm-winter juicing recipes to get you started!
Orange, Carrot & Turmeric Juice with Joe Cross| MOD Appliances
5 - 6 small carrots (or 3 large, sliced lengthways)
3 oranges, peeled and cut into chunks
2 sticks of celery, chopped into 1-2 cm pieces
Small piece of fresh turmeric root
Set up your MOD Cold Press for juicing (see the juicing handbook for more detailed instructions);
Slowly feed the produce down the chute;
Serve the juice with a couple of ice cubes.
If you don't have any of the ingredients on hand, below are some easy switches you can make:
- Oranges can be subbed for: apple, pear, mandarin, lime, grapefruit, lemon
- Celery can be subbed for: celery root, zucchini
- Turmeric can be subbed for ginger