We get it; it’s cold, all you’re thinking about is hot chocolates by the fire, and fresh juice is the last thing on your mind, right? Well, it shouldn’t be, pull that old juicer out of the pantry, or better yet, buy a new model stacked with benefits! Why you ask? Allow us to tell you…
Keep colds away by juicing
You know the old apple a day saying? Well, it’s not only accurate, but there are no rules against that apple being juiced. We recommend a lovely blend of carrots, apples, and oranges to help protect your body from those nasty infections.
When picking the best fruits to keep your body in tip-top shape, it’s best to look for the following benefits:
- Fruit with any of the core vitamins: A, B-6, or C
- Our good pal zinc
- A dose of folic acid
What if you’re already sick?
If the bugs beat your immune system to the line, fear not, a juicing diet can help you recover in no time. This is actually a double-whammy as you will need to keep well-hydrated to fight off germs and can also benefit from the vitamins of fruit.
At this point, you want to aim for the green juices and vegetable smoothies to give your body the nutrients it needs to reset and get rid of the bad stuff. Our favourite go-to feel-better assistant is a blend of either:
- Kale, mint and cucumber
- Orange, carrot, lemon, and ginger
Are you getting the most out of your juicer?
It’s one thing to make up these concoctions to help your body be it’s best, but are you getting the most out of them? Surely all juicers juice right? Wrong. Good-quality juicers will extract double the juice and nutrients from fruit than lower-quality juicers.
You also don’t want to be putting loads of work into your juicing diet when you aren’t feeling well. The design of the Mod Cold Press Juicer eliminates the need to chop most produce. Saving you time and effort! As a bonus, it can create more than just juice. Think about sorbets, nut milk and nut butter added to that cold-fighting repertoire to have you feeling 100 percent in no time.
Juicing vs coffee
This seems straightforward to us; we’re juice people. We know the heresy that this may be for the dedicated coffee drinker though. We also realise how hard it is to open the fridge to grab fruit over a hot cappuccino on a cold morning.
There is a method to our madness, however:
- You are meant to have five to six servings of vegetables a day, which many people struggle with. You can knock some off that total first thing in the morning easily with juice. In fact, raw juicing provides more nutrients and vitamins in one serving than some people get in a whole day.
- It may seem like coffee is giving you that energy burst at the start of your day, but juice is providing energy on a longer-term basis
- Juicing helps to reduce cravings for other carb-heavy foods
- Juicing is great for your skin and eyes, coffee - not so great for your teeth
- Juice is great for digestion and assists your metabolism
- Coffee lovers will hate this, but juice is better for a more positive state of mind
Add to this the fact that the caffeine you think is helping you get through the day is actually adding more stress, and we’re seeing a pretty good argument for juicing.
It’s not all cold...
We may have painted a pretty chilly picture so far but it doesn’t always have to be penguins and polarbears! Add some spices like cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and turmeric to make a warm juice-based drink to help stave off the chills.
Here is one of our favourite healthy, warm-winter juicing recipes to get you started:
- 3 large carrots
- 3 oranges
- 2 sticks of celery
- Small piece of fresh turmeric root
All you have to do is:
- Wash all produce well
- Peel oranges ( optional) and cut up if required.
- Juice away
If you would like to change things up:
- Oranges – apple, pear, mandarin, lime, grapefruit, lemon
- Celery – celery root, zucchini
- Turmeric – ginger
Juice the winter blues away
Hopefully, we have convinced you to give that juicing diet a try this winter? As crazy as it sounds, the people who do it will tell you how much better they feel. If you could avoid sitting at home in bed surrounded by tissues, wouldn’t you?
Give winter juicing a try and have a great time while you do it by using the best tools possible. Mod Cold Press Juicer is your ticket to a healthy winter routine, and we are 100 percent Australian owned as a little bonus.
Until next time, be well!
Team Mod x